“Bad Code” was definitely an unconventional POI episode. If anyone missed the previous episode, it wouldn’t have been clear that The Machine had actually given a number (Hannah’s); not to mention this was the first episode that was not centered in New York City. Once again, there was not all-knowing Finch (Michael Emerson) in his nest. Instead, he pretty much stares in disbelief at Root the entire episode, while Reese (Jim Caviezel) and Carter (Taraji P. Henson) go after a cold case in Texas concerning a missing (presumed dead) girl. Along the way, more light sheds on Root’s background, and finally, we see Finch and Reese reunited. Maybe the return to normalcy next episode will bring back the “classic” Person of Interest feel that this season has been lacking so far. It shouldn’t become predictable, but who hasn’t missed the jabs and banter between Mr. Reese and Finch? Altogether though, this was a great serial episode. Anyway, here’s my random thoughts:
1. Bear is back! The potential for humor is even better now that he’s staying in Finch’s nest. I think the dog addition should work well as long as they don’t pull any Lassie moments (What, Bear? Fusco’s stuck in the old well?!).
2. Amy Acker (I really want to say Amy Hacker) added more to Root’s character this episode, showing Finch the corruption of her own hostage, and proving just how bat-crazy she really is. I would have liked a little more reason why she so easily got away, but it’s clear Reese’s priority was on Finch. Obviously, this isn’t Root’s swan song. Expect to see her later in the season, perhaps offing one-by-one everyone who knew about the machine (three down so far).
4. Dysentery will kill everyone but Root, apparently. Who else loved the Oregon Trail game reference? I seriously want to rewind and see Root’s game, step by step, to see if that was possible.
5. Reese should keep the crossbow.
6. The only thing I got hung out on was how Carter will explain the whole fiasco in Texas to her superiors in NYC, from her fake partner (Reese) to why in the world she was digging up such a cold case. Maybe they went over that, but I completely missed it.