Well, Person of Interest really knows how to introduce a new character. “Relevance” took the normal structure of the show and turned it on its head, starting with the abrupt cutoff of the intro and focusing almost the whole hour on government agent Shaw (Sarah Shahi). Apparently that whole “relevant list” Finch talks about? Well, that would be handled by agents like Shaw and her partner, who seem to work on a number each week like Finch and Reese, at least until they get hit by their own government. Along the way, we see our old government hit-man Hersh (Boris McGiver) and hacker Root (Amy Acker) knee-deep in conspiracies, and each gunning for Shaw.
What’s noticeably absent this time are the four main characters, which is weird to think about, but that didn’t stop this from feeling like a POI episode. Instead, we basically got the other side of a typical case- we saw the person of interest’s view of their situation, with Reese in the background and Finch not even detectable. Then, the two mysterious figures reach out of the shadows and offer help, and you see their work come to light. Some viewers may not have liked this approach and the lack of Finch, Reese, Fusco and Carter, but I thought it was an interesting change of pace and a great way to set up a character (yes, of course she’ll be back). Altogether, this was another tight, fast-moving hour.
1. Leon again! Nothing like a recurring comic relief character to lighten the mood.
2. I loved how, when Shaw first got away, the agents who Reese had taken down off-camera were all holding their kneecaps. Nice joke for the regulars.
3. Another perfect song for the ending, although I didn’t recognize this one…if anyone knows feel free to leave it in the comments.
4. We’re still seven episodes away from the finale, but good grief, this season is picking up some serious steam towards something big.
5. I bet Carter and Fusco had an easy time memorizing their lines this week.