I knew this was a great episode the moment I realized I had been holding my breath for a whole scene. “Endgame” was a big episode, diving fully into serialized territory the entire time. Yes the POI numbers were included- all 38 of them, and then we even doubled that halfway through, but this whole time was spent on Carter’s (Taraji P. Henson) final attempt to take down HR, once and for all. We saw just how far she’s willing to go, basically starting a war between HR and their former allies, the Russians, all behind Finch’s and Reese’s back. For me it felt more like a 24 episode when that show was at the top of its game (which was most of the time). Jon got a great Reese moment, Elias showed he still knows how to handle competition, and we even got some interesting back story about Carter and her ex. And to top it all off, they ended the episode with Carter and Reese fleeing HR with boss Alonzo Quinn (Clarke Peters) in their custody. Personally I did not see this much progress being made in just Part 1 of this 3-episode story arc, but there’s a lot of fallout from Carter’s actions that will play out- including deadly threats against the team .
And that’s the reason all the fans are now taking stress medication- those diabolical previews are now promising that “A Hero Will Fall” and someone will make “the Ultimate Sacrifice.” Any other show I would laugh at the over-dramatization they’re using to pull in views, but gosh, I don’t want to see any of the main characters (especially the original four) bite the dust. And that’s why the scene at the end with Carter nearly getting shot down by the HR boss was so intense- it could be anybody, as I’ve already speculated. But now Reese’s face has been captured in an image, so he’s also a potential casualty (although a very weak candidate). At this point I really don’t know what’s going to happen, although at this point it’s hard to see them getting away with not killing off someone after all this buildup. This is Person of Interest reminding us why it’s still one of the best shows on the big networks.
Point of Interest:
1. Okay, I would have been seriously angry if Carter had really gone into it alone. I mean, you have Finch (who’s a tech genius), Reese (who’s Batman), and Shaw (who’s crazy) at your disposal, and you don’t use them?! At least she came to her senses before the end.
2. It seemed a little odd that they had that short conversation between Finch and Reese about getting Bear a doggy bullet vest, didn’t it? Are they building towards something later?
3. I’m pretty sure the Russian boss isn’t going to make it (or his brother). They’ll probably be part of the collateral damage of Carter’s crusade.
4. Best line may have been from Shaw- “So after we save the bad Russians from the bad cops, what do we do with them then?”
5. If they kill off Fusco (Kevin Chapman), we’re going to have some problems. However, I’m thinking maybe Shaw is in danger more now. Why? Because she hasn’t been shown as a potential in any of the previews, and POI likes to mislead. But we’ll have to wait for the next episode, eh?